Dromineer, Nenagh - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Fishing—Salmon and trout.

Dromineer, in the parish of same name, barony of Lower Ormond, is a station of the Grand Canal on Lough Derg, 5 miles, Irish, north-west of Nenagh. It is a favorite summer resort of the people of Nenagh. The old church here, built of large blocks of granite and slate stones, is of considerable antiquity. Three walls of a castle, over 70 feet high, occupies a point on the inlet. Part of one wall fell about 30 years ago. Lough Derg is famous for salmon and trout-fishing. During an excavation in a large Danish fort in this parish, brass battle-axes, coins, etc., were discovered.

Corn and Coal: F. A. Waller

Grand Canal: F. A. Waller, agt.; Martin Kennedy, storekeeper

Grocer and Spirit: Mrs. Mt. Gaynor

Hotel: Miss Ht. Mills

Post M.: Martin Kennedy


Bernard, Capt. T. S. W., Hazelpoint

Clarke, George, Shannonhall

Clarke, John, Garraunfadda

Clarke, William, Tomona

Flannery, David, Ardgregane

Fletcher, Francis, Garraunfadda

Fletcher, Henry, Gortvogane

Fletcher, Joshua, Garraunfadda

Gason, Mrs. A., Kilteela

Gleeson, James, Cushmona

Grace, William, Tomona

Hogan, James, Castlesheela

Kennedy, Daniel, Killaun

Kennedy, Rody, Killaun

Lalor, Mrs. M., Ballydrennan

Magrath, Edmund, Dromineer

Magrath, John, Ballydrennan

McGrath, Michl., Dromineer

Minnitt, Miss A., Annaghbeg

Toohy, Patrick, Killaun

Wolfe, T. R., Rockfort