Dolla, Nenagh - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less


Dolla is a rural post office in the parish of same name, barony of Upper Ormond, 4 miles, Irish, south of Nenagh. The land of the district is good for dairying. A fair trout river runs through the parish. A favorite ground for pic-nic parlies from Nenagh is called the Black Valley. Killboy, the residence of Lord Dunalley, is within view of the post office. There are some remains of the old castle of Dunalley in the adjoining parish of Kilmore. It gives the title of baron to the Prittie family. In 1690 some of the disbanded soldiers of James II., after a siege of twenty-one days, took this castle, and threw the proprietor, Mr. Henry Prittie, from the top. He, nevertheless, escaped, and lived to write an account of his experience.

Grocers and Spirits: Jno. Ryan, Jno. J. Ryan

Post M.: Jno. J. Ryan

R.I.C.: Sergt. Rt. Taylor


Brindley, Mrs. S., Mt. Island

Conroy, Michael, Kilriffit

Costelloe, John, Kilriffit

Delany, Patrick, Addane

Gleeson, John, Boultheeny

Kennedy, Ptk., Curraghleigh

Kennedy, Philip, Lisnageenly

McCutcheon, Mrs., Boherlody

McCutcheon, Thos., Boherlody

Powell, George, Knockmeal

Powell, Henry, Curraghleigh

Ryan, Mrs. S., Barigore up

Tumpane, Wm., Kilriffit