Annacarty, Tipperary - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Trout fishing.

Annacarty, in the barony of Kilnamanagh, lower, parish of Donohill, is a village of six houses and a Catholic Church, 6 miles, Irish, north-east of Tipperary, and 2½ miles west by north from Dundrum railway station. Part of the district is good for dairying, the rest is boggy. Oats and potatoes are the principal crops. A mountain stream in the vicinity is good for brown trout. At Ballysheedy, one mile from Annacarty, there is a circular tower on Mr. Purefoy Bagwell’s property. One of the arched floors fell at the beginning of 1889.

Catholic Ch.: Rev. J. Fennelly, P.P.; Rev. H. Mockler, C.C.

Church of Id.: Rev. H. Brown

Grocers: Mrs. S. O’Brien, Mrs. J. Sadlier, Wm. Todd

Nl. League: Rev. J. Fennelly, Pres.

Post Ms.: Mrs. J. Sadlier

R.I.C.: Sergt. M. Griffin

School Nl.: Jas. O’Dwyer, Miss M. O’Dwyer


Breen, Daniel, Gortard

Bryan, Michael, Knockgorman

Burke, Edmond, Kilpatrick

Cooney, Patrick, Goldengarden

Cross, Jeremiah, Rossacrow

Cummins, Jas., Coolbawn

Dwyer, Miss B., Bonarea, A

Dwyer, Mrs. B., Bonarea A

Fahey, Denis, Ironmills

Givens, Rt., Shanaknock

Hammersley, T., Glenpaudeen

Hanly, Cornls., Kilpatrick

Hennessy, Denis, Kilpatrick

Hennessy, James, Kilpatrick

Hennessy, Mark, Graffin

Johnston, Edm., Tooreen

Kelly, James, Knockglass

Lacy, Thos., Attybrick

Murphy, Cornels., Coolbawn

O’Brien, Cornelius, Kilpatrick

O’Dwyer, Jerh., Moherough

Ryan, Andw., Goldengarden

Ryan, Bryan, Moheragh

Ryan, Cornelius, Rossbeg

Ryan, John, Coolbawn

Ryan, John, Kilpatrick

Ryan, M., Glenpaudeen

Ryan, Mrs., Gurthard

Ryan, Mrs., Moherough

Ryan, Mrs. B., Moherough

Ryan, Mrs., Goldengarden

Ryan, Patrick, Bonarea

Ryan, Patrick, Moheragh

Ryan, Thos., Ballybrack

Toohy, Denis, Drominacrohy

Toohy, Wm., Knockroe

White, Thos., Mealclye