TEMPLESHANBO, a parish, in the barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Enniscorthy, on the road by Scollagh Gap to Carlow; containing 4196 inhabitants. This parish, which is hounded on the northeast by the river Slaney and on the west by Mount Leinster, is by far the largest in the county, comprising 72 townlands, extending over an area of 34,744 statute acres, exclusive of three townlands of which the tithes are allotted for the support of the perpetual curate of Monart, the ecclesiastical district of which comprises a large portion of this parish.

The surface is boldly undulated in every part, and on the borders of the county of Carlow rises into a chain of mountains, of which the most remarkable is Mount Leinster. About one-seventh of the entire surface consists of mountain, and the whole of the remainder of arable or pasture land, but chiefly of the former; the soil varies from a light shingly character to a stiff clay. Limestone gravel is found on the banks of the Slaney, and marl in various places; both are used for manure, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving. At the foot of Mount Leinster, is an extensive bog, from which the surrounding country is supplied with fuel; on the side of the mountain, granite of a superior quality is procured in great abundance and used for building; there are also some quarries of good slate.

Fairs are held at Mockhurry, or Mohurry, on June 2nd and Oct. 26th; and at Whelagore on Nov. 7th. Among the seats are Killoughram Forest, the residence of R. W. Phaire, Esq., which derives its name from an extensive plantation of oaks, comprising about 1200 statute acres; Ballychrystal, of Thomas James, Esq., romantically situated on the mountainous confines of the county of Carlow; and Templeshanbo Glebe, of the Rev. H. Preston Elrington, precentor of Ferns, in a retired and wild situation near Mount Leinster: several other seats are noticed under the head of Monart, which see.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, consolidated in 1724, and constituting the corps of the precentorship in the cathedral of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £1200, and there is a glebe of 26 acres: the glebe-house is a handsome mansion, erected in 1828. The church, a neat edifice in the later English style, with an embattled tower crowned with crocketed pinnacles, was built in 1815, at an expense of £1150, of which £1000 was a loan from the late Board of First Fruits; it was enlarged in 1826, by aid of a loan of £300 from the same Board, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £352 for its further improvement.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the district of Newtownbarry, but chiefly in that of Ballindaggin; and contains six chapels, of which those of Marshalstown and Castledockril are in the former, and those of Ballindaggin, Cairn, Newtown, and Kiltealy, in the latter district. A school on Erasmus Smith's foundation was established in 1815, when a school-house was built by the trustees, and, in 1829, a wing containing a school-room for girls was added by the rector, who, in conjunction with the governors of the Foundling Hospital, and the London Ladies' Hibernian, Society, supports this division of the school: about 70 children are here educated; and about 350 children are taught during the summer in eight private schools. The lands of Whelagore are charged with the payment of £10 (late currency) per annum to the poor of the parish. According to Ware, a convent of the order of St. Augustine was founded at Seanbotha, of which Colman O'Fiachrah was patron in the 6th century; in the churchyard are the remains of a religious house.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »