RINGAGONAGH, or RING, a parish, partly in the barony of DECIES-without-DRUM, but chiefly in that of DECIES-within-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Dungarvan; containing 2425 inhabitants. This parish, which is called also Rineogonagh, is bounded on the north by Dungarvan bay and harbour, and on the north-west by the Bricky river; and comprises 28,385 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It contains a portion of the Drum mountain, and stretching into Dungarvan bay are the long promontories of Helwick Head and Conygary. Part of the land, more especially that bordering on Dungarvan, is of good quality and in a high state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is improved, and, within the last few years, some of the highest hills have been brought into cultivation. The principal manure is sand and sea-weed, which are found in abundance in the bay and on the coast; during the greater part of May and June, from 40 to 50 boats are employed in collecting and conveying the weed to Dungarvan for sale.

The surrounding scenery is bold and in many parts strikingly romantic and picturesque. Ring Mount is the residence of Thomas Anthony, Esq. The herring fishery is carried on here to a considerable extent; from 40 to 50 boats are engaged in taking the fish, which are found here in abundance and cured; not less than 200 persons are employed in that trade. Near Helwick Head about a dozen houses were built, in 1828, for the accommodation of the fishermen; and a pier was at the same time erected to form a harbour for their boats, by H. V. Stewart, Esq., the principal landed proprietor of the parish. A coast-guard station has been established here, which is one of the five constituting the district of Youghal.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £221. 10. 9., of which £147. 13. 10. is payable to the impropriator, and £73. 16. 11. to the vicar. The church was rebuilt in 1822, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £600; it is a plain and neat edifice.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a modern edifice, situated on an eminence. About 70 children are taught in two private schools. Near the church is a well dedicated to St. Nicholas; and on an eminence in the parish is an artificial cavern.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »