KILROSS, or KILRASSE, a parish, in the barony TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 ½ miles (E.) from Collooney, on the road to Dromahaire; containing 1669 inhabitants. The church of the Holy Trinity, or Athmoy, was built here for Premonstratensian Canons, brought from Lough Kee by Clarus Mac Moylin O'Moillchonry, archdeacon of Elphin, in the 13th century: the outer walls still remain, with a burial-place attached.

The parish comprises 1426 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and contains abundance of limestone. Castle Dargan is the seat of J. Ormsby, Esq., and near it are the ruins of an ancient castle. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Boyle; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Lorton.

The tithes amount to £82. 10. 9., of which £41 is payable to the impropriator, and £41. 10. 9. to the vicar.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Sowey. There are two public schools, in which 140 children are educated, and a private school of about 40.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »