Charles Henecy, Engraver

(fl. 1787-1808)


From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

He entered the Dublin Society's School in 1782, and afterwards learned engraving from John Duff (q.v.). After Duff's death in 1787 he carried on the business at 17 Exchange Street, with the widow Anne Duff, and from 1789 by himself. He moved to 18 Suffolk Street about 1792. As "Duff and Henecy" he engraved James Lawson's scarce "Map of Belfast" in 1789. He engraved some plates for the "Anthologia Hibernica," 1793-4; for Paine's "Geography," and for other works. There are also by him two soft-ground etchings, after J. Cassidy, of "A Gentleman of the Irish Volunteer Cavalry" and "A Gentleman of the Irish Volunteer Infantry." His principal employment seems, however, to have been seal-engraving. About 1798 he was joined in his business by one Fitzpatrick. They published in 1799 a bust portrait of John Foster, the Speaker, after a picture by Gilbert Stuart, engraved in stipple by P. Maguire. "Henecy and Fitzpatrick have now engraving, and in great forwardness, by the first artist in his line in this Kingdom, a beautiful head of that much admired patriot the Right Hon. John Foster, for which purpose he has most kindly given a capital picture painted by Stuart in his very best style" ("Faulkner's Journal," 18th Feb., 1799). Henecy died about 1808, and his business was continued by his widow Anne, whom he had married in 1791, and by his son Charles, who was born in 1800.

« John Henderson | Contents and Search | James Dowling Herbert »