Templetuohy, Templemore - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Population 269 in 1881.

Templetuohy in the parish of same name, barony of Ikerrin, is 5 miles, Irish, east by south of Templemore. The land of the district is used chiefly for tillage. There are two small castles at Lisdaleen, in ruins, and considerable remains of Tullowmacjames Castle, on the farm of Mr. Michael Maher. The tomb of the famous Richard Lalor Sheil, “patriot, statesman and orator” (1851), occupies a conspicuous position in the grave-yard of the Catholic church.

Catholic Ch.: Rev. Jas. Hickey, P.P.; Rev. Jn0 M. Burke, C.C.

Church of Id.: Rev. Thos. O’Flaherty

Dispensary: Dr. Mn. Fennelly

Grocer: Jas. Maher

Grocers & Spirits: Thos. Collier, Mrs. Margt. Dowling, Mrs. Susan Reide, Thos. St. John

Monuments: Thos. St. John

Post M.: Joseph Griffin

R.I.C.: Sergt. Lalor

School, Nl.: Jos. Griffin, Mrs. F. Conlon


Ardell, James, Ballylahy

Bourke, Jas., Tullowmacjames

Bourke, Ml., jun., Tullowmacjames

Bowe, Edm., Tullowmacjames

Bradshaw, J. T., Ballyknockane

Butler, Thomas, Toher

Byrne, Dudley E., Lissanure

Cantwell, Mrs., Lisheen

Cleary, Thomas, Ballyknockane

Collier, Edmond, Lisdaleen

Collier, Robert, Ballyknockane

Cormack, Patrick, Lisdaleen

Davy, Mrs., Longorchard

Doolan, Matt, Templetuohy

Dunne, Patrick, Tullowmacjames

Dwyer, William, Derryvilla

Everard, Mrs. K., Longorchard

Everard, Michael, Longorchard

Fitzpatrick, P., Tullowmacjames

Geehan, M., Tullowmacjames

Kennedy, Edw., Lisdaleen

Lanigan, Michael, Lisdaleen

Larkin, K., Tullowmacjames

Larkin, Luke, Longorchard

Maher, James, Cranagh

Meade, Thomas, Tullow

Meara, Michael, Ballyknockane

Power-Lalor, G., Orchardstown Ho

Power-Lalor, Mrs., O’town Ho

Russell, Mrs. M., Longorchard

Ryan, Michael, Lisdaleen