Portland, Roscrea - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Portland is a post office on the Shannon, in the parish of Lorrha, barony of Lower Ormond, 6 miles, Irish, north by west from Borrisokane, and over a mile, Irish, from Portumna. The Parsonstown and Portumna Railway, 12 English miles, terminated at Portland. It cost over £80,000 to build. About nine years ago, when the lease terminated, the Great Southern and Western Railway Company surrendered the line to the Commissioners of Public Loans. In a short time afterward the station-houses, rails and sleepers were carried away. Some arrests were made by the police, but no one appeared to prosecute. In June, 1889, a public meeting was held at Portumna with the view of having a light railway built along the route of the old line.

Post M.: Geo. Mack

R.I.C.: Dd. Lavelle, sergt


Avonmore, Lord, Belleisle

Boxwell, Dr. Rt., Portland

Carroll, John, Lehinch

Maher, John, Lehinch

Stoney, Thos. B. (J.P.), P’land Pk

Strong, Denis, Lehinch