Cloughjordan, Roscrea - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Population 644 in 1881—Trout-fishing.

Cloughjordan, in the parish of Modreeny, barony of Lower Ormond, is on the Great Southern and Western Railway, 10 miles, English, south-west of Roscrea, and 9¼ miles northeast of Nenagh by rail. It is situated in a beautiful country extending into the King’s County, the border of which is only a quarter of a mile distant. The town is well built and the houses are in good repair, some of those devoted to business being heavily stocked with merchandize. The land of the district is light, and is chiefly used for tillage. Oats and potatoes are the principal crops. Dairying is done on a small scale, and the butter shipped in lumps to Dublin and London. A considerable area in the vicinity is covered by bog.

There is a patent for a weekly market, but none held. Fairs are held 12th January, 12th March, 12th August, and 12th November. Those of May and August are old. Over seven years ago a pig fair was established on the day preceding each fair for cattle and sheep. This generally secures a supply of from 500 to 1,000. Buyers attend from Limerick, Waterford and elsewhere.

Down to 1861 there was a distillery in operation. It belonged to Mr. Edward Kennedy, and turned out 40 puncheons of pot whiskey every fourteen days. Stoppage was caused by the termination of the lease.

The house at present occupied by Mr. William Hodgins is said to have in the foundation of one of the corners, the stone from which the name of the town is derived (Cloughjordan, Jordan’s stone). It was built by Captain Harrison, an officer in Cromwell’s army, who took possession of a land grant here soon after the campaign of 1651. The strong part of the walls is 9 feet thick, and the kitchen, one storey, arched, and bomb proof, remains in the original condition to this day. The house was surrounded by a fosse, crossed by a drawbridge. A portion of the fosse, filled with water, continues to exist. The property passed by marriage to the Sadlier family, and ultimately to the Pritties, of whom the present owner, Lord Dunalley, is the head.

There are two Protestant churches in the parish, one in the town and the other at Modreeny, about a mile distant on the way to Borrisokane. The church in Cloughjordan dates from 1830. It is built of cut limestone and has a large tower and spire. Cloughjordan was a district parish, formed out of the parish of Modreeny in 1826, and the living was a perpetual curacy, with a stipend of £76 3s. 1d. Of this the incumbent of Modreeny paid £46 3s. 1d. per year. Services in both churches are now conducted by the incumbent of Modreeny. The church of Modreeny was rebuilt in 1828. It has a handsome low castellated tower. Of the ancient church the west gable and small fragments of the side walls, ivy covered, only remain. To the south of the ruin, near the avenue, is the burial place of the Harrisons referred to in connection with the old house at Cloughjordan. The slab covering it bears the inscription, “James Harrison, died 1727, aged 72 years.” In the interior of the modern church the mural monuments commemorate, Thomas Dancer, 1857; Sybella, wife of Thos. Purefoy, M.D., 1840; Frederick Falkiner, 1843, Louisa, his wife, 1817. Epitaph: “The rectitude of disposition was equalled by the mildness of her temper”; Capt. Henry Macdonald Burns, 1864; Maria, wife of Rev. R. D. Robinson, 1865; Thos. Ely, 1844; Rebecca, his wife, 1840.

The Catholic church of the parish is situated at a distance of about a mile from town. It is a cruciform edifice, dating from 1830. Recent improvements to the structure include the erection of limestone buttresses. The high altar, Caen stone and marble, and a handsome screen, commemorate Rev. Michael Scanlan, P.P. A marble monument bears testimony to the affection of the parishioners for the late Rev. Denis Molony, nearly 11 years pastor of Cloughjordan. Died 1880. A little Chapel in town is used for week morning and lenten devotions.

The Methodist church at Cloughjordan dates from 1790. It was rebuilt in 1875 from a design by Mr. A. H. Milne, C.E., and at a cost of nearly £1,000, mostly raised in the district. Exterior and interior are handsome. The re-opening services were conducted by the Rev. W. C. Price, August 13th, 1875. In the evening of that day a lecture was delivered by the Rev. Wesley Guard. Cloughjordon is the head of a circuit which in late years has included Nenagh.

In the townlands of Ballycapple, Behamore and Cloughkeating there are remains of castles, and in Mr. Whitfield’s demesne, foundations of a castle, said to have been destroyed by a gun-powder explosion. Danish forts, some in good preservation, are numerous in the parish.

Bakers: See Grocers

Catholic Ch.: Rev. Jno. Scanlan, P.P.; Rev, Francis McMahon, C.C.; Rev. Dl. O’Meara, C.C.

Church of Id.: Rev. Chancellor Leopold O’Sullivan, Rector

Church, Methodist: Rev. Jno. Good

Church, Presbyterian, Rev. Jas. Douglas

Coach builders: Jas. Graham, Hh. Tooher

Coal: See Grocers

Corn mts.: Jas. Kennedy, Stn. Maher

Dispensary: Dr. R. H. MacLoghlin

Drapers: Miss Mt. Hogan, Sl. Walton

Dunalley estate: M. C. Maude, agent

Emigration Agents: P. Baker, Jno. Bowe, Ml. O’Reilly

Grocers: Marked thus [*] sell spirits; thus [†] hardware; thus [‡] seeds; thus [‖] coal; thus [t] timber; thus [b] are bakers; thus [d] sell drugs: Mrs. A. B. Armitage†‡, Peter Baker, John Bowe*b, John Bruder*b, Cornls. Condren*, Mrs. Mt. Hanlon, Chr. Hannigan†, Ml. Herlihy, Miss E. Henzey*, Fredk. Hodgins. Patk. Kenna*, Jas. Kennedy*, Mrs. Bt. Kennedy, John McLeanb, Stn. Maher*, Ml. O’ReilIy*†‡‖td, C. Pattison†‡‖td, W. Quinlisk, Hugh Tooher*, B. C. Williams†‖‡t, Miss Margaret Power

Hardware: See Grocers

Hotel Keepers: Hh. Tooher, Fredk. Williams

Loan Fund: Jos. Slattery, M.C.

News Agents: P. Baker, Mrs. A. Bland, Ml. O’Reilly

Nursery: Wm. Hodgins

Petty Sessions: every 4th Friday, Jos. Slattery, clerk

Post Master: Peter Baker

Railway: Fredc. McElwee, S.M.

R.I.C.: Wm. Shummacher, Sergt.

School, ladies’, Miss Isabel Hughes

Schools, Nl.: Jos. McDonagh, Mrs. Mary McDonagh, George Lyons

Teachers’ Association: Joseph McDonagh, Sec. and Treas.

Spirit Retailers: See also Grocers: Wm. Cantwell, Phil Murphy, Mrs. A. O’Keeffe, Jno. Stevenson

Timber (see also Grocers): Sl. Walton

Victualler: Miss M.O’Donoghue


Andrews, Dr. Hall, Knocknacree

Armitage, J. H., Kyleashinnaun

Blackwell, William, Behamore

Brennan, Timothy, Sopwell

Carthy, Martin, Ballycapple

Dann, Jos., Oxpark

Dwyer, Patrick, Killurane

Ely, Major-Gen. Hy., Copse Dale

Fitzgerald, Michael, Bantiss

Fogarty, Michael, Cloneen

Gavin, Edward, Middlewalk

Grant, William, Islandwood

Guest, John, Newtown

Hackett, Mrs. J., The Presbytery

Harty, James, Loughaun

Hawley, John, Ballycapple

Hodgins, Adam, Stonyacre

Hodgins, Mrs. A., Newtown

Hodgins, James, Druminure

Hodgins, William, Druminure

Jameson, John, Hilton

Kennedy, E. (J.P.),Coolnamunna pk

Kennedy, John, Bantiss

Kennedy, John J., Coolnamunna Pk

Lewis, Thomas, Behamore

McNought, John, Modreeny Ho

Mooney, Thos., Cappakilleen

O’Brien, Adam, Newtown

Pyke, Robert, Cloughjordan

Reddan, John, Bantiss

Ryan, Dl., Farranmacbrien

Smyth, Dr. Ptk., Bank House

Smythe, Capt., Beech Lodge

Stoney, Sadlier, Ballycapple

Tierney, Timothy, Behamore

Trench, Hon. C., Sopwell Hall

White, William, Behamore

Whitfield, Geo. (J.P.), Modreeny