White (No. 1.) family genealogy

Arms: Ar. a chev. betw. three wolves’ heads erased gu.[1]

Richard De Pitche, who is mentioned by Giraldus Cambrensis as having come into Ireland with Strongbow, A.D. 1170, is the first member of the Whyte or White family whose name we have seen recorded.

1. Richard de Pitche.

2. Rodolph: his son; who, in the charter of Mathew, abbot of Mellifont, in the county Louth, and in the charter of Hugh De Lacy, to Maurice Fitzgerald, in the year 1177, is styled “Rodolph de Pitchford.”

3. John, of Pitchford: his son; had a brother named Richard.

4. Rodolph (2), of Pitchford: his son; living in 1290.

5. Thomas, of Pitcherstown: his son.

6. James, of Trim: his son; had a brother named John, of Pitcherstown, whose only son, William, d. without issue, in the year 1435.

7. Thomas, of Haverford West: son of James; had two elder brothers—1. Christopher, living in 1472; 2. John.

8. Sir John Whyte, “Constable of the Castle of Dublin;” his son; living in 1540.

9. Walter: his son; “Escheator-General of the Pale,” and “Commissioner for valuing the First Fruits.”

10. Walter (2): his son; “Escheator of Leinster,” in 1610; M.P. for Donegal, in 1615; and Deputy Vice-Treasurer, in 1636.

11. James: his son; “Escheator-General,” in 1637.

12. Walter (3): his son.

13. James (2): his son.

14. Henry: his son; married in 1746.

15. Henry Whyte: his son; died an infant; had two sisters—1. Anne, 2. Catherine.


[1] White: Samuel White, a well-known Dublin schoolmaster, said to have been a relation of the Sheridan family, was born in 1733. In 1758 he opened a school at No. 75 (now 79) Grafton Street, Dublin, where he taught the Wellesleys, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Thomas Moore, and many others who afterwards became eminent. Moore pays a graceful tribute to him, in his Life of Sheridan. White was the author of The Shamrock, a Collection of Poems, Songs, and Epigrams (Dublin: 1772); an English Grammar, and some minor works. He died in Grafton Street, Dublin, 4th October, 1811.