From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TEMPLEDOWNEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. E.) from Nenagh, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick; containing 475 inhabitants. Pallas, the seat of J. Short, Esq., is in this parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Ballymackey: the tithes amount to £83. 1. 6 ½.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Aghnamadle, also called Toomavara. The chapel is a neat building in the village of Toomavara. Knockane castle is situated on an eminence, and forms a landmark, though in ruins.