GARRISTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GARRISTOWN, a parish, in the barony of BALROTHERY, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Ashbourne; containing 2081 inhabitants, of which number, 741 are in the village of Garristown, and 218 in that of Baldwinstown. It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. There is a windmill on a hill near the village, from which is an extensive prospect, commanding a view over fourteen counties. Good building stone and turf are obtained in the parish; and fairs are held on May 5th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 1st. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the gift of Lord Trimleston, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the vicarial tithes were valued at £50, and there is a glebe of 25 acres. The church is a plain building: the glebe-house, which was built in 1791, is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united to Ballymadun; there is a chapel in each parish: that of Garristown was erected in 1828, and galleries were added to the chapel of Ballymadun in 1833. There is a national school, in which about 100 boys are instructed, and there are also two private schools.

« Garrison | Index | Garrycloyne »