GARRYCLOYNE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

GARRYCLOYNE, a parish, partly in the barony of BARRETTS, but chiefly in that of EAST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Cork, on the road to Kanturk; containing, with the village of Blarney (which is described under its own head), 2027 inhabitants. It comprises 3530 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1870 per annum. There are several extensive dairy farms, and the butter is held in high repute: the cattle are well stalled and fed with clover, turnips, and tares. Agriculture has much improved within the last few years, and the farms, particularly those belonging to the gentry, are well cultivated: the principal manure is lime. A large quantity of limestone is procured on the demesne of Blarney, the only place abounding with it from Cork to Mallow: good manure is also obtained from the cattle stalls. The establishment of a farming society, excellent roads, and other advantages have combined to improve the system of farming, but in some instances the old method is still pursued.

There is neither mountain nor bog in the parish. The line of the intended canal from Cork to Limerick passes through it; and there are boulting-mills capable of producing 6000 barrels of flour annually. In the parish are several gentlemen's seats: Blarney Castle is described in the account of that village, to the north of which is Putland's Glen, the residence of George Jeffreys, Esq., by whom it was planted, and who holds a lease of it from Mr. Putland, whose ancestor was a member of the Hollow Sword Blade Company, and a large portion of this parish was allotted to him; it originally formed part of the Clan-carthy estate, which being confiscated in 1692, was purchased from the Government by the company. To the north of the parish is the manor-house and castle of Garrycloyne, the property of John Travers, Esq., whose ancestor obtained a grant of it in 1604: the castle is a lofty square tower, built in 1535 by the Clancarthys; the house is spacious and well built on rising ground looking over a fine lawn of more than 100 acres, surrounded by fine plantations. Abbeyville is the seat of the Rev. W. Stopford.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united at a very early period to the rectory and vicarage of Grenaugh, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £512, and of the whole benefice to £1562; there is a glebe of 21 acres. The glebe-house was erected in 1807, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a handsome building of the Doric order, situated on rising ground commanding a view of the village and plains. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with Whitechurch: the chapel, a neat Gothic structure, towards the erection of which Mr. Putland contributed £200, is situated at the northern extremity of Putland's Glen. The male and female parochial schools are in the village of Blarney, and are supported entirely by the rector, who provides a house rent-free for the master and mistress; he also supports a Sunday school. Adjoining the R. C. chapel is a national school, a large building recently erected.

« Garristown | Index | Garrynoe »