AGLISH, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AGLISH, a parish, in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Milltown, on the north-east side of the river Laune, and on the road from Killarney to Milltown; containing 1901 inhabitants. It comprises 4924 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the greater part of the land is of the best quality and chiefly under tillage, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved within the last few years; there are about 100 acres of bog. At Barleymount is a quarry of excellent building stone, from which the stone was taken for Lord Headley's mansion at Aghadoe.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Earl of Cork, in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £156. 18. 4 ½., one-half of which is payable to the impropriator, and the other to the vicar. The church is a neat structure, with an octagon tower on a square base, and for its erection the late Board of First Fruits gave £600, in 1822. The glebe-house was built about the same time, the Board having granted a gift of £337 and a loan of £142: the glebe comprises 14a. 3r. 1p.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is included in the union or district of Fieries; the old chapel is disused, and a chapel was built within the last fourteen years at Ballyhar, on the border of this parish, but within the limits of the parish of Kilcredane. A school, in which are 50 hoys and 6 girls, is supported by Lord Kenmare; and there is a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls. Immediately adjoining the church are the remains of the ancient structure, completely mantled with ivy, and forming an interesting appendage.

« Aglish | Index | Aglish »


Library Ireland Facebook