AGLISH, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AGLISH, a parish, partly in the barony of BARRETTS, but chiefly in that of EAST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Cork; containing 2782 inhabitants. It is situated on the south bank of the river Lee, between it and the Bride, which winds pleasantly on its southern border; and contains 6701 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6527 per annum: 5000 acres are arable, 1481 are pasture, 150 are woodland, and 70 are waste land and bog. The land is generally fertile, and the state of agriculture is improving; irrigation is practised very advantageously on the grass lands. On the south side of the parish lies an extensive marsh, reclaimable at a small expense. The gentlemen's seats are Curihaly, that of H. Penrose, Esq.; Farren Lodge, of S. Penrose, jun., Esq.; Elm Park, of Valentine Barry, Esq.; and Rose-Mount, of W. Hawkes, Esq. Here is a station of the constabulary police.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory is partly impropriate in P. Cross, of Shandy Hall, Esq., and partly appropriate to the prebend of Kilbrogan. in the cathedral church of St. Finbarr, Cork. The tithes amount to £573. 3. 11 ¾., of which £152. 6. 1 ¾. is payable to the impropriator, £379. 1. 1. to the prebendary, and £41. 16. 9. to the vicar. The church is in ruins, and until it. can be rebuilt divine service will continue to be performed in a house licensed by the bishop. There is no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Ovens: the chapel is a large old plain building. Besides the parochial school for boys and girls, a school in which are about 60 boys is partly supported by an annual donation of £8. 8. from Mr. Rye: there are also two other pay schools.

« Agivey | Index | Aglish »


Library Ireland Facebook