MANNIN, JAMES

(d. 1779)

Landscape and Flower Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

A French artist who came to Dublin, where he settled. In 1746 the Dublin Society, who had established a drawing school in Shaw's Court under Robert West, engaged Mannin as teacher of ornamental and landscape drawing, a post he held for many years with success. From him many well-known artists, including George Barret, R.A., Thomas Roberts, J. J. Barralet and others received their early instruction in art. He painted landscapes and flowers, particularly excelling in the latter. In 1763 the Dublin Society gave him a premium of ten guineas for a landscape, and in 1770 a further premium, also for a landscape. In the first exhibition of the Society of Artists in 1765, in George's Lane, Mannin exhibited a landscape, four flower-pieces and a design for a staircase; and in the following year six landscapes and flower-pieces. In 1768 he sent from his address in King Street, Stephen's Green, a landscape and a portrait, and he continued as an exhibitor down to 1777. He resided in Lazar's Hill from 1770 to 1775, when he moved to King Street. Falling into bad health he was obliged temporarily to hand over his work in the Society's Schools to his old pupil, J. J. Barralet, in 1779. But he was unable to return to his work, and died the same year. Mannin married on the 18th October, 1769, in St. Andrew's church, Mary Maguire.

« Gaetano Manini | Contents and Search | John Mannin »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook