MANNIN, JOHN

(fl. c. 1775-1791)

Engraver

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

He became a pupil in the Dublin Society's Schools in 1770, and afterwards practised as an engraver. He was living in Poolbeg Street about 1789. He engraved in stipple a portrait of "Lord Henry Fitzgerald," after Adam Buck; a bust in an oval, inscribed: Engraved by J. Mannin from the Original Drawing by Adam Buck. To the Whig Club and Independent Electors of Dublin this Plate of Lord Henry Fitzgerald is respectfully dedicated by Richd White. Published by R. White Bookseller etc. No. 29 Dame Street.* A copy, in reverse, of this scarce print appeared in the "Universal Magazine," May, 1790. Mannin also did a stipple portrait, after Horace Hone, of Mary Sophia Matilda, Hone's daughter. It was entitled "Innocent Thought," and was published by Allen, Dublin. A portrait by him of "Thomas Ryder," actor, after a drawing by J. Harding, appeared in the "Universal Magazine," September, 1791. In the first volume of the "Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy" are some anatomical plates by him. The following appeal appeared in the "Dublin Chronicle" of 27th January, 1791: "To the humane and opulent, and in particular the Lovers of the Fine Arts, the case 0f Mr. John Mannin, engraver, is humbly submitted. From a series of illness these some years past he has not been able to do much work, but for three months last past has been totally unable to perform any, and the physician who attends him is of opinion that if there be not immediate relief this valuable artist, who does honour to our country, will be inevitably lost to society. His abilities in the line of his profession are pretty well known to those who interest themselves in the prosperity of the arts in this Kingdom, and specimens of his works are to be seen in the hands of Mr. William Allen, No. 32 Dame Street, who will receive and see properly applied such benefactions as may offer."

As no further reference to him appeared in the paper Mannin probably died soon after the date of this appeal.

NOTE: * The Irish "Whig Club" was founded on 26th June, 1789. Lord Henry Fitzgerald and Henry Grattan were returned for the City of Dublin in 1790.

« James Mannin | Contents and Search | — Marinari »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook