ANTRIM ROUND TOWER

From Atlas and Cyclopedia of Ireland (1900)

« Introduction | Book Contents | County Armagh »

Description of County Antrim | Carrick-A-Rede | Antrim Round Tower | Giant's Causeway | Glenarm Castle | Dunluce Castle | Shane's Castle | Carrickfergus Castle | Portrush | Albert Memorial, Belfast | St. Patrick's Cathedral, Belfast | Antrim Map

ROUND TOWER.—A little to the north of the town of Antrim stands one of the finest specimens of the Round Towers in the north of Ireland; it is ninety-five feet high, tapers upward, diminishing from fifty-two feet in circumference at the base, to thirty-six near the top. The door is twelve feet from the ground, and is of a square form. Over the entrance there is a device in open stonework, resembling a Maltese cross, which would strengthen the idea of these towers having been erected within the Christian period. It is the opinion of the learned Dr. Petrie that this tower was built by Goban Saer in the seventh century, a celebrated architect of that age, to whom also is ascribed the erection of those of Kilmacduagh and Kilbannon, near Tuam. The peculiarity of the doorway and open cross will be readily understood from the accompanying engraving.

Round Tower, County Antrim

Antrim Round Tower

Description of County Antrim | Carrick-A-Rede | Antrim Round Tower | Giant's Causeway | Glenarm Castle | Dunluce Castle | Shane's Castle | Carrickfergus Castle | Portrush | Albert Memorial, Belfast | St. Patrick's Cathedral, Belfast | Antrim Map

« Introduction | Book Contents | County Armagh »


Library Ireland Facebook