From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TASHINNY, or TAGHSHINNY, a parish, partly in the barony of RATHCLINE, but chiefly in that of ABBEYSHRULE, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¼ mile (S.) from Colehill, on the road from Ballymahon to Mullingar; containing 2475 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Inny, and, according to the applotment under the tithe act, comprises 4463 statute acres, valued at £4302 per annum. The land is of good quality, and chiefly in tillage: there are quarries of black stone, and some bog within the limits of the parish, through which the Royal Canal passes. At Tennelick, on the Inny, are large mills for grinding oatmeal, worked by Messrs. McCann and Sons, who generally employ more than 40 persons. Fairs are held at Tashinny on March 27th and May 28th; fairs are also held at the village of Barry, which see. The seats are Doory Hall, the residence of F. T. Jessop, Esq., situated in a fine and well-planted demesne; Colehill House, of T. Nugent Lennon, Esq.; and Hermitage, of George Duff, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united by episcopal authority to the rectory and vicarage of Abbeyshrule, and in the patronage of the Bishop.
The tithes amount to £210; and there is a glebe of 29 acres, valued at £52 per ann.; the gross annual value of the benefice, including the glebe and £14. 19. Of. from the rectorial tithes of the parish of Teighshinod, amounts to £364. 16. 10. The glebe-house was built in 1825, at an expense of £923 British, of which £230 was a gift and £507 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a small building, without tower or steeple, erected about a century ago; it has lately undergone considerable repairs, towards which the Countess Dowager of Rosse contributed £150, Mr. Jessop £50, Mrs. Jessop £50, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners £50; it contains a handsome marble monument to the memory of Judge Gore, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Carrickedmond, or Teighshinod. In the school at Barry, partly supported by Lady Rosse, who also partially clothes the children; a school at Doory Hall, supported by Mrs. Jessop; and separate schools for boys and girls supported by William McCann, Esq., about 270 children are educated: the school-house at Doory Hall is a handsome building. Tennelick, once the residence of Lord Annaly, has long been in ruins.
In Popular Rhymes and Sayings of Ireland (first published in 1924) John J. Marshall examines the origin of a variety of rhymes and sayings that were at one time in vogue around different parts of the country, including those which he recalled from his own childhood in County Tyrone. Numerous riddles, games and charms are recounted, as well as the traditions of the ‘Wren Boys’ and Christmas Rhymers. Other chapters describe the war cries of prominent Irish septs and the names by which Ireland has been personified in literature over the centuries.
The book is also available as a Kindle download.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.