BARRY, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BARRY, a village, in the parish of TASHINNY, barony of ABBEYSHRUEL, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER; 3 ¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Colehill: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the road to Ballymahon, and is a station of the constabulary police. Fairs are held on January 27th, April 28th, July 28th, and October 27th. A school for poor children is maintained by the Dowager Countess of Rosse. Near the village was formerly an ancient castle, of which only some trifling vestiges can be traced; and in the immediate vicinity is a high moat.—See TASHINNY.

« Barrington's Bridge | Index | Bartra »


Library Ireland Facebook