From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TAGHBOY, or TAUGHBOY, a parish, partly in the barony of KILLIAN, county of GALWAY, but chiefly in that of ATHLONE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (E.) from Ballinamore, on the road from Roscommon to Ahascragh; containing 3306 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the river Suck, comprises 5117 statute acres, according to the county books: the soil is in general light, and, chiefly by the example and encouragement of the Hon. Gonville Ffrench, agriculture has considerably improved: there is a very large tract of bog. Here is a station of the constabulary police.
The gentlemen's seats are Claremount, the residence of the Hon. G. Ffrench; Ballyforan House, of M. D'Arcy, Esq.; Mucklon, of G. Kelly, Esq.; and Turrock, the property of W. D. Kelly, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Tessaragh, or Mount-Talbot; the rectory is impropriate in the Incorporated Society.
The tithes amount to £96. 18. 5 ½., of which £38. 15. 4 ½. is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Tessaragh, and partly in that of Dysart. There are three schools, in which 140 children are taught. Here is a mineral spring.