SALT MILLS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SALT MILLS, a village, in the parish of TINTERN, barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ½ miles (N.) from Fethard; containing 206 inhabitants. The village of Tintern, which was contiguous to the abbey of that name, the property of Caesar Colclough, Esq., was taken down within the last 20 years, and rebuilt upon the townland of Salt Mills, by which name it is now more generally known. It is situated on the western side of an inlet of the sea, called Bannow bay, and in 1831 contained 29 houses and cottages, all neatly white-washed, and several of them painted and ornamented in front with small gardens. The female inhabitants are mostly employed in straw-platting and bonnet-making, which are carried on to some extent; and some of the males are employed in fishing. A school for boys and a dispensary are entirely supported by Mr. Colclough.

« Salterstown | Index | Sandford »


Library Ireland Facebook