SALTERSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SALTERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERRARD, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Dunleer; containing 354 inhabitants, of which number, 93 are in the hamlet. It is situated on the bay of Dundalk, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1047 ¾ statute acres, the greater part of which is excellent land. A lead and copper mine was formerly worked here. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Dunany; the lands are tithe-free, having formerly belonged to the abbey of Mellifont.

In the R. C. divisions it is part of the district of Dysart and Clonmore.

« Saltee Islands | Index | Salt Mills »


Library Ireland Facebook