NEWCHAPEL

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWCHAPEL, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 ¾ miles (N. W.) from Clonmel, on the road to Cashel; containing 1544 inhabitants. This parish, which from the name of one of its townlands is called also Mulloghnoney, comprises 4737 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil is fertile, and the lands are generally in a very high state of cultivation; there is neither waste land nor bog. Limestone is found in abundance, and is extensively quarried both for building and agricultural uses; and coal is also found in the parish, but is not worked.

The principal seats are Barn, the residence of S. Moore, Esq., pleasantly situated in an ample demesne extending into the adjoining parishes, and embellished with some stately timber; Darlinghill, of the Hon. Baron Pennefather; Orchardstown, of — Hamerton, Esq.; Barona, of S. Perry, Esq.; and Springmount, of J. Keating, Esq.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, constituting the prebend of Newchapel in the cathedral of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop. The tithes under the composition act amount to £462. 3. 4 ½. per annum; the glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £100, was built in 1790; the glebe comprises 17 ¼ acres of profitable land. The church, a neat edifice, was rebuilt in 1821, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £800. There is a private school, in which are about. 70 children. On the townland of Mulloghnoney are the remains of an ancient castle, formerly belonging to the O'Dogherty family.

« Newcastle (Wicklow) | Index | New-Inn »


Library Ireland Facebook