NEWCASTLE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWCASTLE, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA WEST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (S. W. by S.) from Clonmel, on the road to Cappoquin; containing 2455 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Suir, and comprises 1810 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The state of agriculture is improving, and part of the mountain land, of which there is a good deal on its southern boundary, is under cultivation: in the mountain also is about 500 acres of bog. The rivers Tar and Rossmore, both branches of the Suir, pass along the verge of the parish to the east and west. There is a dispensary in the village of Newcastle: petty sessions are held there every fortnight, and it is a constabulary police station. A fair granted by patent to the parish of Mullogh, on the opposite side of the river, is held here by mutual consent, on Feb. 12th, as affording greater facilities for traffic. The only seat in the parish is the residence of S. Mulcahy, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore; the rectory is united to the rectory and vicarage of Tulloghmeelan, and constitutes the corps of the treasurership of Lismore; the vicarage comprises also the parish denominated the Particle of Mullogh; both benefices are in the patronage of the Bishop.

The tithes amount to £221. 14. 0., of which £129. 7. 10. are payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. There is a glebe of 4a. 2r. The church is in ruins, the west window and a portion of the walls being its only remains.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called also the Four-mile-water, comprising this parish and those of Derrygrath and Kilronan: there are two chapels in the union; that of Newcastle is a large building, erected about 20 years since, and recently enlarged considerably. On the bank of the river Suir are the ruins of a castle which had been in the possession of the Birmingham family, and afterwards passed into that of the Prendergasts, and thence, at the period of the revolution, into the Perry family, in which it is still vested: it forms a very picturesque feature in the landscape.

« Newcastle (Limerick) | Index | Newcastle (Waterford) »


Library Ireland Facebook