NEWCASTLE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

NEWCASTLE, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Waterford, on the road to Dungarvan; containing 1124 inhabitants. It comprises 3906 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, presenting a dreary surface of naked rocks, intermixed with small patches of cultivation, and tracts of heath and furze. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Dunhill: the rectory is impropriate in the Corporation of Waterford.

The tithes amount to £150, of which £90 is payable to the impropriators and the remainder to the vicar. About 70 children are educated in a private school. Near Knockaderry, on the southern confines of the parish, is a subterraneous passage in a solid rock, supposed to have had some connection with druidical rites; and under a cairn of stones here was discovered a kistvaen, containing human bones, some of which appeared to have been burnt.

« Newcastle (Tipperary) | Index | Newcastle (Wicklow) »


Library Ireland Facebook