MERRION (OLD)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MERRION (OLD), a village, in the parish of ST. MARY'S, DONNYBROOK, in the half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from the General Post-Office, Dublin: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the south side of the bay of Dublin, the strand of which is here crossed by the Dublin and Kingstown Railway. Here are several neat villas occupied during the summer months by visitors resorting hither for the benefit of sea-bathing, for which purpose the fine broad and firm strand at this place is well adapted; and in the immediate vicinity are several handsome seats, commanding fine views of the bay of Dublin. The principal are Elm Park, the residence of Joseph Watkins, Esq.; Bloomfield, of Thomas Ord Lees, Esq.; Merrion Castle, of Fras. Low, Esq.; and Merrion Hall, of R. Davis, Esq. In the vicinity are also the extensive nursery grounds of Messrs. Simpson, from the dwelling-house in the centre of which is obtained a fine view of the hill of Howth and the sea, and there is a pleasing drive through the grounds from the Rock road to the road to Donnybrook. In the demesne of Merrion Castle are the ivied ruins of the old castle from which it derives its name; and at the village is an old burial-ground, still generally used.

« Menlough | Index | Mealiffe »


Library Ireland Facebook