MARSHALSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MARSHALSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (W. by S.) from Mitchelstown, on the road to Kildorrery; containing 2566 inhabitants.

The parish comprises 6760 statute acres, as rated for the county cess, and valued at £4391 per ann.; it includes a large tract of bog. Limestone abounds and is burnt for manure, and the state of agriculture is slowly improving.

The gentlemen's seats are Killee Castle, the residence of — Montgomery, Esq.; and Castle Eugene, of E. O'Neill, Esq., M.D. Part of the Earl of Kingston's extensive demesne of Mitchels town is also within its limits.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in John Nason, Esq.

The tithes amount to £330 per ann., payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar: there is a glebe of about 3 acres.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Mitchelstown, and has a chapel at Marshalstown. About 100 children are educated during the summer in two private schools. The ruins still remain of what are called "James's churches."

« Marmullane | Index | St. Martin's »


Library Ireland Facebook