MARMULLANE

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MARMULLANE, or PASSAGE, a parish, in the barony of KERRYCURRIHY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, on the western shore of the estuary of the Lee, opposite the Great Island; containing, with the greater part of the post-town of Passage-West (which is separately described), 1639 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the liberties of the city of Cork, and on the south by Monkstown; it comprises 534 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £937 per ann., which, with the exception of about 4 or 5 acres of woodland, are arable and pasture, generally good land, though light and rapidly absorbing moisture; good crops of corn are produced, though the land is principally devoted to dairy farms; agriculture is rapidly improving under the spirited exertions of J. Roberts, Esq., a large landed proprietor, who has introduced the Scottish system of husbandry and the most improved agricultural implements, at a great expense.

The interesting character of the scenery, and the numerous beautiful views over the river and the adjacent islands, have rendered this parish very attractive for genteel families, whose pleasure grounds and demesnes occupy much of the land Among the principal seats are Pembrook, that of T. Parsons Boland, Esq.; Ardmore, of J. Roberts. Esq.; Grove Hill, of J. C. Irvine, Esq.; Rockenham, of Noble Johnson, Esq.; Greenmount, of E. K. Percy, Esq.; Horse Head, of Samuel Lane, Esq., an elegant mansion in the Tudor style of architecture, situated amidst beautiful scenery; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. R. Lloyd; besides which there are numerous villas, cottages, &c., principally occupied during the summer months by merchants and other inhabitants of Cork.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £69, granted by the dean and chapter to the perpetual curate. The glebe comprises 8 acres; the glebe-house was built, in 1813, by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits. The church, situated in the town of Passage, was a small edifice, built in 1684, but it was considerably enlarged in 1808, at the expense of the dean and chapter, aided by local contributions; it is, however, much too small, and is about to be replaced by one which will afford better accommodation to the increasing population.

In the R. C. divisions the parish, with Monkstown and part of Carrigaline, forms the union or district of Passage: the chapel is a neat edifice, built in 1832. About 110 children are educated in the parochial schools and in a school in connection with the R. C. chapel; and in five private schools are about 113 children.

« Marlinstown | Index | Marshalstown »


Library Ireland Facebook