MARGARET (ST.)

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

MARGARET (ST.), or RAVEN, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 ½ miles (N. E.) from Wexford, on the coast road to Gorey; containing 920 inhabitants. It comprises 1807 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; sea weed is generally used for manure, and turf is obtained on the shore at low water. The southern part of the parish consists of a range of sand hills, extending nearly two miles from north to south, and terminating in the headland called Raven Point, which forms the northern side of the entrance to Wexford harbour: the bar of the latter commences at this point. Inside the sand hills is an extensive cockle bed, and westward of this is the small island called Breast.

At Curracloe is a station of the coast guard, forming part of the district of Gorey: the fishery off the coast here affords employment to some of the inhabitants. It is stated that for £300 a canal could be cut from Curracloe, which is occasionally resorted to for sea-bathing, to the north-east point of Wexford harbour, and thus afford a direct communication by water between the town of Wexford and the coast. At Kilmacoe is the seat of Cadwallader Waddy, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Ardcolme; the tithes amount to £37. 17. 4.

In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Castlebridge, and has a chapel at Kilmacoe. About 30 children are educated in a private school. The ancient church, which stood near the shore, was washed away many years since; it is supposed that the sea has encroached nearly a quarter of a mile upon this coast within the last half century. There was an old castle at Curracloe, which was taken down a few years since.

« St. Margaret's (Wexford) | Index | Marhyn »


Library Ireland Facebook