LEITRIM

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

LEITRIM, a parish, partly in the barony of COSHMORE and COSHBRIDE, county of WATERFORD, but chiefly in that of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Kilworth, on the north side of the river Blackwater, and on the road from Fermoy to Lismore; containing 2032 inhabitants. It comprises 6597 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3826. 7. 10. per annum. Of the land, which is of variable quality, that portion situated on the banks of the river is the best: limestone, brownstone, and slate are found in this parish, of which the former is quarried for agricultural purposes, but the latter two are not worked. The only seat is Kilmurry, the residence of Thomas St. John Grant, Esq., beautifully situated in the midst of some extensive improvements at the junction of the two counties, which are here separated only by a small glen stream. and a mountain path. It is in the diocese of Cloyne: the rectory is impropriate in William Norcott, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilworth.

The tithes amount to £460, payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar.

In the R. C. divisions it also forms part of the union or district of Kilworth. About 80 children are educated in two private schools. In the demesne of Kilmurry was discovered, some years since, a number of human skeletons, which, combined with the word Kil, has led to the inference that a church or cell to some religious house formerly existed here.

« Leitrim Antiquities | Index | Leitrim (Galway) »


Library Ireland Facebook