LEITRIM

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

LEITRIM, a parish, partly in the barony of LOUGHREA, but chiefly in that of LEITRIM, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Portumna, on the road to Loughrea; containing 1679 inhabitants, of which number, 280 are in the village. This parish, which is bounded by the Slievebaughta mountains, comprises 2797 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is in general in a profitable state of cultivation, and there is very little bog.

The principal seats are Carrowkeel, the residence of J. Ulick Burke, Esq.; and Dalystown, of Dr. O'Ferrall. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, forming part of the union of Lickmolassey; the rectory is appropriate to the see.

The tithes amount to £68. 11. 6 ½., of which £13. 16. 11. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £54. 14. 7 ½. to the vicar. There is no church, glebe-house, or glebe.

In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilcooley; the chapel is a neat edifice, and there is also a chapel at Kilcooley. There is a school supported by subscription, of which the school-house was built by the Hon. F. Ponsonby; and about 100 children are taught in a private school. There are considerable remains of the castle of Leitrim, in good preservation; and the ruins of an old chapel are attached to it, the cemetery of which is still used. Petrified cockle and muscle shells are found at Carrowkeel, which is about 18 miles distant from the sea.

« Leitrim (Cork) | Index | Leitrim »


Library Ireland Facebook