KILBREEDY

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBREEDY, or KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Killala, on the road from Rathlacken to Ballycastle; containing 2023 inhabitants. The soil is marshy, and there is a considerable quantity of bog. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, and forms part of the union of Dunfeeny: the rectory is appropriate to the dean and precentor of Killala. The tithes amount to £147. 10., half of which is equally divided between the dean and precentor, and half is payable to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Dunfeeny. About 40 children are educated in a private school. There is a chalybeate spring in the parish. Downpatrick Head is an insulated circular cliff, about 80 yards from the shore, on the summit of which are the remains of a building.

« Kilbragh | Index | Kilbreedy-Major »


Library Ireland Facebook