KILBREEDY-MAJOR

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILBREEDY-MAJOR, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Kilmallock, on the road to Tipperary; containing 1137 inhabitants. It comprises 3352 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is of good quality, being based on a substratum of limestone; the greater portion is arable, with some good meadow and pasture, and there is a small proportion of bog. Kilbreedy House is the residence of J. O'Donnell, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Limerick, and the rectory forms part of the union of Kilmallock: the tithes amount to £224. 16. 7. There is neither church nor glebe-house; the glebe comprises 11 ½ acres of profitable land. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Athnassy, or Ballinvana. There are several raths, some of which are perfect.

« Kilbreedy | Index | Kilbreedy-Minor »


Library Ireland Facebook