FINVARRA

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

FINVARRA, a village, in the parish of OUGHTMANNA, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (W.) from Burren, on the bay of Galway; containing 410 inhabitants. This village, which is situated in a detached portion of the parish, is chiefly remarkable for a Point of that name which stretches into the bay from the peninsula formed by the parish of Abbey, and on which a martello tower has been erected. There is also a similar tower on Aughnish Point, to the north-east, which also forms a detached portion of the same parish. Finvarra Point is situated on the north-east side of the bay of Ballyvaughan, and to the south-west of the entrance of the harbour of New Quay.

« Finuge | Index | Finvoy »


Library Ireland Facebook