BALLYVAUGHAN, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BALLYVAUGHAN, a village, in the parish of DROMCREEHY, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Burren; containing 151 inhabitants. This place is situated on a small bay to which it gives name on the western coast, and opening into the bay of Galway. The village, in 1831, contained 23 houses, since which time several new houses have been built, and it is progressively improving. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the herring fishery, which is carried on successfully on this coast. The bay is very shallow and in general fit only for boats; but small vessels may anchor in 2 ½ fathoms of water on good holding ground, about two or three cables' length south of Finvarra Point. There are some remains of an old quay, which is now of little use; a new quay would add greatly to the prosperity of the place, as, independently of the fishery, turf is landed here in great quantities from Connemara for the supply of the neighbouring country. A market for corn and pigs is held weekly on Thursday; and fairs have been lately established on the 24th of June and 23rd of September. Here is a station of the constabulary police; also a coast-guard station, which is one of the seven that constitute the district of Galway. A court for the manor of Burren is held by the seneschal about once in six weeks, at which small debts are recoverable; and the road sessions for the district are also held in the village. At a small distance to the east, and near the shore, are some vestiges of the old castle of Ballyvaughan.—See DROMCREEHY.

« Ballyvary | Index | Ballyvinny »


Library Ireland Facebook