From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
DRUMGLASS, a parish, in the barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Armagh to Coleraine; containing, with the market and post-town of Dungannon (described under its own head), 5926 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 3503 ¾ statute acres, of which 30 are waste land and the remainder arable and pasture, the greater part of which is fertile and well cultivated, particularly near the town.
The surrounding country is ornamented with several gentlemen's seats, the principal of which are Northland Lodge, the residence of the Earl of Ranfurly, proprietor of the town and manor; Dungannon House, of E. Evans, Esq.; Millton, of J. Falls, Esq.; the Castle, of T. K. Hannington, Esq.; Killymeel, of J. Shiel, Esq.; and the seat of J. W. S. Murray, Esq.
Here are extensive collieries worked by the Hibernian Mining Company under lease from the Lord-Primate. The upper and best seam is about a foot thick; under it is a thin stratum of iron-stone, and then a seam of coal two feet thick. About 180 persons are employed, who raise 500 tons weekly. A drift is being made from these works to coal beds on the Earl of Ranfurly's estate, about a mile distant; and a line of railway has been marked out from the collieries to the Tyrone canal at Coal Island.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate: the tithes amount to £200, and there is a glebe-house with a glebe of 59 acres near it, and one of 347 acres in the parish of Donaghmore. The church, which is in Dungannon, is a large and handsome edifice, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £307.
In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Dungannon, comprising the parishes of Drumglass, Tullaniskin, and Killyman, and containing four chapels, one of which is at Dungannon. There are meeting-houses for Presbyterians, connected with the Synod of Ulster and the Seceding Synod, both of the second class, and one for Wesleyan Methodists. A royal free school was founded by Charles I. at Dungannon, at which place is the parochial school, endowed with £10 per ann. by the rector; and an infants' school was established in 1833. In these and two other public schools about 400 children are educated, besides about 280 in eleven private schools.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A touching story for the genuine booklover, written by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St John Featherstonehaugh.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.