From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
DRUMGOOLAND, a parish, in the barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Rathfriland, on the road from Castlewellan to Banbridge; containing 10,281 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 19,653 statute acres, of which, 133 ¾ are under water, 3240 are mountain and bog, and the remainder is cultivated with great labour and expense, and in some parts is very productive: many of the inhabitants are employed in linen-weaving. Ballyward, a large handsome house, situated in a beautiful demesne, is the residence of C. F. Beers, Esq.; the Cottage, of Capt. Tighe; and Ballymacaveny, of the Rev. J. B. Grant.
The parish is in the diocese of Dromore: the rectory is partly appropriate to the see and partly to the deanery of Dromore, and partly consolidated with the vicarage, which, from time immemorial, has been united to the vicarage of Drumballyroney, together forming the union of Drumgooland, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £495.3. 0 ½., of which £380. 2. 8 ½. is payable to the incumbent, £59 to the bishop, and the remainder to the dean; and the gross value of the benefice, tithe and glebe inclusive, is £570. 16. 0 ½. The church is a large handsome edifice, in the early English style, erected, by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822; it contains a handsome monument erected by the parishioners to the memory of the Rev. T. Tighe, forty-two years rector of this parish. There is another church in Drumballyroney, where there is a good glebe-house, and a glebe of 20 plantation acres, valued at £30 per annum.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms two unions or districts, called Upper and Lower Drumgooland: the chapel for the former is at Leitrim; in the latter there are two, one at Gargary, the other at Dechamet. There are two meeting-houses for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, one at Drumlee (of the first class), the other at Closkilt. There is a school for hoys and girls at Ballyward, built and principally supported by C. F. Beers, Esq.; the parochial school, adjoining the ruins of the old church, is supported by the vicar and Miss Beers; and there are six other public, and five private, schools, also three Sunday schools.
In this parish are several large and nearly perfect raths and forts; at Legananney is a large cromlech, of which the table stone is supported by three large upright stones; at Mullaslane are four large upright stones; a fifth, but smaller, stands not far off, and in the adjoining field is a single upright stone of enormous size. In the gable of the school-house at Drumgooland is a large, perfect, and ancient stone cross, which formerly stood in the churchyard, but, having been thrown down and broken, it was built into the wall by the late rector: the shaft and cross are of porphyry, and the plinth of granite.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A touching story for the genuine booklover, written by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St John Featherstonehaugh.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.