BELGRIFFIN, or BALGRIFFIN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BELGRIFFIN, or BALGRIFFIN, a parish, in the barony of COOLOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from Dublin; containing 259 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to the ancient family of the De Burgos, who held the manor in the 14th century, and by whom the castle was erected. It afterwards became the property of the O'Neills and De Bathes, and the castle was for some time the residence of Richard, Duke of Tyrconnel, Lord-Deputy of Ireland under James II. The parish is situated on the turnpike road from Dublin to Malahide: the lands are chiefly under tillage; the system of agriculture is improving, and the parish generally is noted as a corn district. Belgriffin Park, the seat of the Rev.. T. F. Walker, is pleasantly situated; the mansion is built with the materials of the ancient castle, of which there are now no remains. The other seats are Bellcamp, the property of J. J. Baggot, Esq.; Clare Grove, of General Cuppage; Airfield, of Alderman Sir Edmund Nugent; and Sea View, of T. Franklyn, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin; the rectory is united to that of Drumshallen and to the half rectories of Kilcullen and Glasnevin, together forming the corps of the precentorship in the cathedral of Christ-Church, Dublin, in the patronage of the Crown; and the vicarage is part of the union of St. Doulogh's, in the patronage of the Precentor. The lands in this parish belonging to the precentor comprise 29a. 2r. 3p., let on lease for £3. 13. 4. per annum, and an annual renewal fine of £18. 9. 2 ¾.; and the lands of the union comprise altogether 680a. 3r. 21p., let on lease for £95. 19. 5. per annum, and annual renewal fines of £114. 9. 2.; making the gross income of the precentorship, including the tithes, £484. 19. 6 ¾. per annum. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Baldoyle and Howth. In 1580, Mr. John Bathe left a piece of land at Chapelizod for the support of an hospital for four poor men of this parish. There are some remains of the old church.

« Belfast Gentry Of The Early Nineteenth Century | Index | Bellagan »