BELANAGARE, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BELANAGARE, a village, in the parish of KILCORKEY, barony of BALLINTUBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Frenchpark: the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the mail coach road from Longford to Ballina, and consists of about 30 houses, of which several are neatly built. It was formerly the residence of the O'Conor Don, who has lately removed to a new lodge in the immediate neighbourhood, since which the village has been neglected and is falling into decay. The old mansion, now in ruins, was an irregular building with numerous gables and tall chimneys, and is surrounded with stately trees. The surrounding scenery is interesting, and the roads leading to the village are shaded by trees growing in the hedge-rows. Fairs are held on Jan. 6th, and the first Wednesdays in March, Aug. and Nov.; the January fair is noted for young horses and pigs. Petty sessions are held here irregularly. The R. C. parochial chapel is situated in the village, and was built by the late O'Conor Don, in 1819; the roof is covered with sandstone slate found in the neighbourhood. A large school is held in the chapel.—See KILCORKEY.

« Belan | Index | Belcarra »


Library Ireland Facebook