BELCARRA, a village

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

BELCARRA, a village, in the parish of DRUM, barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S.) from Castlebar: the population is returned with the parish. This place, which is situated on the road from Castlebar to Hollymount, and comprises about 35 houses, is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on Feb. 2nd, June 4th, and Nov. 10th. It contains the parish church and R. C. chapel. In the immediate vicinity is Elm Hall, once the seat of Lord Tyrawley, but now in ruins.—See DRUM.

« Belanagare | Index | Belclare »


Library Ireland Facebook