ANNAGH, an island

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ANNAGH, an island, in the parish of KILCOMMON, barony of ERRIS, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 23 miles (S. by E.) from Belmullet; containing 6 inhabitants. This island is situated in the bay of Tulloghane, on the western coast, and near the entrance of the sound of Achill; it is separated from the mainland of Ballycroy by a narrow sound to which it gives name, and is the property of Sir Richard O'Donnell, Bart., from whom it is rented by the inhabitants of the village of Claggan-Caferky. The greater portion of the land is mountainous, but affords very good pasture; and there is a salmon and herring fishery, which, if properly managed, might be rendered very lucrative.

« Annagh | Index | Annaghclone »


Library Ireland Facebook