From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
ANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Castlebar to Frenchpark; containing, with the post-town of Ballyhaunis, 6885 inhabitants. This place was chiefly distinguished for a cell of Franciscan friars, though by some writers said to have been founded by Walter de Burgh for brethren of the order of St. Augustine, as a cell to the abbey of Cong, and to have been the burial-place of Walter, Lord Mac William Oughter, who was interred here in 1440. The parish comprises 16,325 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is principally under tillage; and there is a sufficient quantity of bog. Logboy is the residence of E. Nolan, Esq., and Hollywell, of J. Bourke, Esq. A weekly market and annual fairs are held at Ballyhaunis, which see. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Kiltullagh: the tithes amount to £194. 19. 11. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Ballyhaunis and Tulrahan. The old monastery at the former place is still occupied by friars of the order of St. Augustine. There are eight pay schools in the parish, in which are about 390 boys and 230 girls.
From a sad, comfortless childhood Giles Truelove developed into a reclusive and uncommunicative man whose sole passion was books. For so long they were the only meaning to his existence. But when fate eventually intervened to have the outside world intrude upon his life, he began to discover emotions that he never knew he had.
A story for the genuine booklover, penned by an Irish bookseller under the pseudonym of Ralph St. John Featherstonehaugh.
FREE download 23rd - 27th May
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.