AMBROSETOWN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AMBROSETOWN, a parish, in the barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Taghmon; containing, with the extra-parochial townlands of Ballingeal and Rochestown, 1045 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2274 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: it is partly under tillage and partly in pasture, and contains an entirely exhausted bog, part of which has been reclaimed and is now under cultivation, and the remainder is grazed. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Duncormuck: the tithes amount to £138. 9. 2 ¾. In the R. C. divisions it is partly within the union or district of Rathangan, or Duncormuck, but chiefly in that of Carrig. A school, in which are about 50 boys and 30 girls, is aided by Mr. Morgan, of Johnstown; and there is a private school of about 20 children.

« Almoritia | Index | Anacloan »


Library Ireland Facebook