ALMORITIA, or MORANSTOWN, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ALMORITIA, or MORANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ½ miles (N. E.) from Ballymore, on the road from Mullingar to Athlone; containing 675 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Ballymoran, comprises 2330 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally under an improving system of tillage: there is but an inconsiderable portion of bog; limestone of very good quality abounds, and is quarried chiefly for building. The Royal Canal passes within four miles of the parish, affording great advantages to this district, which is wholly agricultural. The principal seats are Glencarry, the residence of J. H. Kelly, Esq., surrounded with flourishing plantations; Darlington Lodge, of A. McDonnell, Esq.; and Halston, of H. Boyd Gamble, Esq. On a stream which runs from Ballinacurra lake, through the parish, into the river Inney, is a large flour-mill. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, to which that of Piercetown was united episcopally in 1791, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes of the parish amount to £70, and of the entire benefice to £165. The church was rebuilt in 1816, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £600, obtained by the bishop, through the representation of Mr. Kelly, of Glencarry. The glebe-house was built in 1820, the Board having granted a loan of £600 and a gift of £200. The glebe comprises 28 acres, valued at £56 per annum; and there is also a glebe of 12 ½ acres at Piercetown, valued at £24, 10. per annum. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Rathconrath, also called Miltown. There is a pay school, in which are about twelve children.

« All Saints | Index | Ambrosetown »


Library Ireland Facebook