AGLISHCLOGHANE, or EGLISH, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AGLISHCLOGHANE, or EGLISH, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Burris-o-kane, on the road from Roscrea to Portumna; containing 1961 inhabitants. It comprises 4474 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The system of agriculture is improving, and a considerable portion of moor land, formerly waste, has been reclaimed and brought into cultivation: there is an abundance of bog. Limestone of superior quality abounds, and is quarried for building. Milford, pleasantly situated in a well-planted demesne, is the occasional residence of Ralph Smith, Esq. The living consists of a rectory, vicarage, and perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Killaloe; the vicarage, with cure of souls, forms the corps of the archdeaconry of Killaloe, with which are held, without cure, the rectories of Aglishcloghane, Lorrha, and Dorrha, episcopally united in 1785, and by act of council in 1802, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Archdeacon. The tithes amount to £161. 10. 9 ¼., and of the entire union, to £1013. 7. 8 ¾. The church of the union is at Lorrha, where is also the glebe-house of the archdeaconry; and there are two glebes, comprising together about 43 acres, situated respectively near the sites of the old churches. The church of the perpetual curacy, a neat modern building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £800, in 1813, is situated near the ruins of the old church, in the churchyard of which is a very old ash tree of large dimensions. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the same Board, in 1816; the glebe comprises 13 ½ acres; and the stipend of the perpetual curate is £100 per ann., paid by the archdeacon. This is one of the three parishes which constitute the R. C. union or district of Burris o-kane: the chapel is situated in the village of Eglish. The parochial school is supported under the patronage of the perpetual curate; and there is also a school in the R. C. chapel.

« Aglish | Index | Aglishcormick »


Library Ireland Facebook