AGLISH, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

AGLISH, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-within-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W.) from Dungarvan; containing 3689 inhabitants, of which number, 302 are in the village. This parish is situated on the river Blackwater, by which it is bounded on the west, and comprises about 7800 statute acres of arable, pasture, and meadow land, 810 of woodland, 1393 of waste, and 1296 of bog and marsh, the greater portion of which affords good pasturage for cattle: of its entire extent, 6706 acres are applotted under the tithe act. Part of it is mountainous, but towards the river the soil is generally fertile. It is in the diocese of Lismore, and is a vicarage, forming part of the union of Affane; the rectory is impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes amount to £480, of which £320 is payable to the irnpropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. There is a chapel at Villierstown independent of the vicarage, founded and endowed by John, Earl of Grandison; the living is a donative, in the patronage of H. V. Stuart, Esq. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parish of Whitechurch and part of the parish of Ardmore, and contains three chapels, situated respectively at Aglish, Ballynamileach, and Slievegrine also a friary chapel. There are two schools, supported by H. V. Stuart, Esq., in which 183 children are instructed; and five pay schools, in which are about 220 boys and 85 girls.

« Aglish | Index | Aglishcloghane »


Library Ireland Facebook