ABBEYGORMAGAN, a parish
From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
ABBEYGORMAGAN, a parish, partly in the barony of LEITRIM, but chiefly in that of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8 ½ miles (W. by N.) from Eyrecourt, on the road from Banagher to Tralee; containing 2858 inhabitants. This place, called also "Monaster O'Gormagan," or "de Via Nova," derives its name from a monastery founded here for canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, by O'Gormagan, head of that sept, which at the dissolution was granted by Hen. VIII. to Ulick, first Earl of Clanricarde. The parish comprises 8865 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: about one-third is arable. Brooklawn is the seat of T. Blake, Esq. It is in the diocese of Clonfert; the rectory is partly appropriate to the set, the deanery, and the archdeaconry, and to the prebends of Fenore, Kilquaine and Kilteskill, in the cathedral church of St. Brandon, Clonfert, and partly united with the vicarage, which forms a portion of the union of Kiltormer. The tithes amount to £218. 15. 4 ½., of which £23. 1. 6 ½. is payable to the bishop, £4. 12. 3 ¾. to the dean, £13.16.11. to the archdeacon, £50. 15. 4 ½. to the prebendary of Fenore, £8. 6. 1 ¾. to the prebendary of Kilquaine, £10. 3. 1. to the prebendary of Kilteskill, and £108 to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Killoran, in each of which there is a chapel: that for this parish is situated at Mullagh. There are two private pay schools, in which are about 100 boys and 46 girls.