Ulick De Burgh, 1st Earl of Clanricard
From A Compendium of Irish Biography, 1878
De Burgh, Ulick, 1st Earl of Clanricard, was a descendant of the second son of Richard de Burgh, Lord of Connaught. He fortified Roscommon, Galway, Loughrea, Leitrim, and several other towns. He was, according to Lodge, called by the native Irish "Negan," or the beheader, having made a mound of the heads of men slain in battle, which he covered with earth." In 1538 he covenanted to furnish Henry VIII. with men and supplies; and surrendering his large estates into the King's hands, received them back with the title of Earl of Clanricard in 1543. He died 19th October 1544.
216. Lodge's Peerage of Ireland, Revised and Enlarged by Mervyn Archdall. 7 vols. Dublin, 1789.